WASHINGTON — Just weeks after the devastating Navy Yard shooting and days after the shutdown of the federal government, Washington was stunned again Thursday when a series of gunshots and a police chase resulted in a temporary lockdown of Capitol Hill.

Questions remained after bystanders reported hearing gunshots and witnessing police chasing a black automobile from the White House to Capitol Hill.

Several people reported a chaotic scene beginning shortly after 2 p.m.

Peter Polcki, a furloughed Transportation Department employee, heard several gunshots when he was eating lunch in front of the U.S. Botanical Garden, near the Capitol.

“I came down to the Supreme Court, which I knew was open, to tour the exhibits there, which I don’t usually get to do, and I was just having a bite to eat in front of the Capitol,” Polcki said of when he heard gunshots ring out.

Another witness, Dylan Price, similarly reported a frenzied scene at the Capitol. Price had lunch outside and was walking across Constitution and First Avenues when he heard a series of bangs and saw police cars chasing a black vehicle down Constitution Avenue.

“I saw a few people duck by the bushes and I looked up towards the Capitol and there were people running away from it,” Price said.

One eyewitness, a visitor from West Africa named Ibrahima Banghoura, was at the Capitol to observe how Washingtonians were behaving during the government shutdown when he heard the gunfire and a crash. “I heard a boom, it was like a car accident,” he said.

Capitol Police reported that the female suspect, whose identity has not been released, is dead. Washington Police Chief Cathy Lanier said no additional information would be released about the suspect. Capitol Police, however, said the incident was not an act of terrorism.

Medill reporter Marina Cracchiolo contributed the photo slideshow for this story.