WASHINGTON – Representative Robin Kelly (D-Ill.) sponsored a bill to help businesses suffering labor shortage and make education more affordable for college students pursuing degrees in high skilled industries.

Illinois senator Tammy Duckworth, along with five co-sponsors and representative Robin Kelly, reintroduced a bill. It’s called the Community College to Career Fund in Higher Education Act, and it helps not only students but also businesses.

“Every time I go home I visit different entities in my district, a lot of manufacturing, health care, even education, and I hear the same thing over and over, that businesses cannot find enough qualified people to take that jobs that are available,” said Robin Kelly. “If we can connect colleges up with businesses then the community college will know what specific skills are needed by those businesses.”

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, there are plenty of available jobs, but businesses cannot find people who are qualified to do the work.

The bill was proposed on the House and Senate floor last May, but there has been no additional action.