Abby Wambach is a warrior. Abby Wambach is a winner. And now, Abby Wambach is retired.

After a decorated 15-year career, including a world record for international goals scored, the soccer star announced Tuesday she was hanging up her cleats.

“After much deliberation and talking with my friends, family, teammates and our coaching staff, I’ve decided to finally bring my soccer career to an end,” Wambach, 35, said in a statement.

“After bringing the World Cup back to the United States this summer, I’m feeling extremely optimistic about the future of our sport. It’s been an amazing, wonderful ride and I can’t wait to see what the next chapter of my life brings.”

Wambach’s decision followed a 5-2 United States World Cup win against Japan in early July, a title that had previously eluded Wambach in four career tries.

The soccer legend issued her statement after she and U.S. soccer teammates met President Barack Obama. Obama praised the national team, speaking briefly about Wambach’s latest accomplishment.

“These champions deserve all the attention they’ve been getting,” Obama said at the White House. “Abby said that she wanted her final World Cup to be like a fairytale, and I’m not sure that she could have written a better ending. World Champion at last.”

The most prolific goal scorer in international soccer history, Wambach has 184 goals in 252 international matches. She will leave the pitch Dec. 16, playing her final match against China in New Orleans as part of the U.S. Women’s National Team’s 10-game victory tour.

Published in conjunction with UPI Logo